6.7.11

Homemade energy gel


I know, I know. It looks like...poo. But it doesn't taste like it looks, I promise!

Carob Energy Gel

Ingredients:

  • 2 large dates, pitted
  • 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
  • 1 Tbsp ground chia seeds
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp carob chips
  • Sea salt, to taste

Directions:

Blend all ingredients together to the consistency of gel.

So I saw this recipe and just had to try it! It turned out really good, except for it was far too sweet for my taste buds. I did make some changes to the original recipe as you can see, as I do for most recipes I try. I substituted cocoa nibs for carob chips and agave nectar for maple syrup. (The verdict is still out on agave and it's similarities to high fructose corn syrup, so I ditched agave over a year ago and have stuck with maple syrup and honey as my go-to sweeteners.) However, the flavor is really, really tasty. The lemon adds a perfect zing to the other flavors. I can't wait to try this again and change it up even more. This would be a great pick-me-up during the sluggish time of day or before a run/workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment