31.5.11

Power seed, engage!


Thanks to a good friend, I've gotten to know a magical little seed known for its green hair growing powers, the chia seed. Apparently the Aztecs and Mayans knew about the health benefits of this tiny seed; it sustained them during long hunts. You can read all about the versatile little seed by visiting The Great Google, so I won't reinvent the wheel here, I'll just go straight to the recipe I conjured up this afternoon. I wanted a mildly sweet, bursting with healthy power-packed goodness snack. I ended up with just that:

"Tropical Chi-gel-ly":
1 C coconut water
3 T chia seeds
1 large ripe mango, peeled and cored
1/2 ripe banana

optional: add a small amount of honey or a whole banana for a sweeter gel-ly.

I let the seeds gel up then added everything in my food processor and processed away. I topped mine with a ripe organic strawberry and coconut flakes. Yum! I wish I could say that I ate this little bowl of yum before heading out for a fantastic run, but unfortunately my iliotibial band is acting up again, so you'll find me on the living room floor rolling the foam and stretching out the IT band!

The options are limitless with chia, it can be added to salads, cereals and baked goods. Anything edible, really. I can't wait to play around with it some more! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Oh, how I miss mango! Great idea going tropical..makes me think! Ooh! Idea! What about pina colada pudding? oh yes, pineapple, coconut, milk..and a mini umbrella. Welcome to the Islands!

    ReplyDelete