8.6.11

Quinoa, it's what's for breakfast


This morning's breakfast was complemented with a glass of orange wildflowers, picked by my daughter. Cheery, no?

This was a first for me: quinoa for breakfast. We ran out of rolled oats, but I still wanted a hot, hearty breakfast. I always wake up starving, I guess from nursing the baby occasionally-sometimes often throughout the night. (Another perk of breastfeeding--a speedier metabolism!) Needless to say, I like for my breakfasts to be big and nutritious and to fill me up to get the day started. Today I made our usual breakfast recipe, only I swapped the oats for the quinoa.

Cinnamon Pear Quinoa
1 c water
1/2 c rinsed quinoa, red or white (I prefer red for its nuttier flavor)
1 t cinnamon
1-2 T or to desired taste maple syrup (or honey)
1/2 ripe pear, chopped
1/4 c raisins
1/8-1/4 c almonds (sub for walnuts or pecans), chopped
1/2 c milk (dairy, rice, soy or almond)

A note about quinoa: Quinoa has a naturally occuring coating on it called saponin, which is a toxic substance. Though most quinoa sold in North America has been processed to clean it, I still prefer to rinse my quinoa well. Before using in a recipe, I put my quinoa in the rice cooker bowl and add lots of hot water. Using my hands, I swish and stir the quinoa around. You'll notice the water turn cloudy and some grains will float to the top. Drain the water and repeat until the water is clear.

Directions: Add water and quinoa to rice cooker (or on stovetop: boil water, add quinoa, cover, let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally). Once cooked, add remaining ingredients and enjoy! Serves 1 adult and 1 child with no leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment